Monday, June 24, 2013

Potato Leek Soup

This recipe is one of my ALL TIME favorite soups! My mama has been making this one since I was a wee little one and I LOVE IT! It's very light and simple and delicious!

Potato Leek Soup

Ingredients:
1 stick of Butter (salted)
10 medium sized red potatoes (you can substitute brown potatoes here if you would like)
1 bunch of Leeks (clean thoroughly, they usually hold sand between the leaves)
4-5 stalks of Celery
1 large white or red Onion
1 tbsp minced Garlic
10 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 cup of Milk
Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Boil peeled and diced potatoes in large pot. Add Bouillon Cubes to water.  

Meanwhile, chop celery, leeks (white portion only), & onion. In large saucepan, saute celery, onions, leeks, and garlic in the butter (add more butter if mixture seems too dry, should be wet). Add salt and pepper to taste, it should be slightly too salty, cook veggies until tender and golden in color. 

Use a potato masher or sharp knife to smash up (or dice) the potatoes in the water. I like my potatoes more chunky so I do not smash them up very much. Next, add onion veggie mixture to the potatoes in the chicken water. Add milk and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes on low heat.

Serve with saltine crackers and enjoy! The leftovers are fabulous too!

No comments:

Post a Comment