Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Our little Thor

Well we tried to predict and prevent the early arrival of our little superhero but he isn't giving us any signs. 

Apparently, mothers who have a short cervix generally deliver early, mine is fine. The baby looks happy and healthy, no signs of preterm labor which is exactly what my previous two pregnancies looked like. I think they are trying so hard to prevent a repeat because in general, boys do not fair as well as girls in preterm labor. They would like for me to keep him in there til at least 38 weeks but I'm pretty sure I have no control over the whole thing.

The doctor and I still disagree on my due date, by my calculations it is 9/10/14...the doctor says 9/20/14. A ten day difference doesn't seem like much but he is currently 4 lbs 4 ozs...70th percentile for his gestational age, if we went by my calculations of a due date (based on my last period) he would be right on track for his size and age. Doctors don't know everything...right? So, all we can do is sit and wait and hope he remains inside as long as possible. Although I hate being pregnant in July and August, I would rather not have a newborn to lug around in the heat...September is a good compromise. 

The good part about these late pregnancy ultrasounds is we got to see our little dude again...he looks just like his brother! Same lips, nose, cheeks and expressions! 



See the resemblance? This was Sebastian pouting when we couldn't get tickets to a baseball game...we're still working on it, apparently the new stadium is much more enticing then the previous one. 

Our new little peanut loved to move his mouth, he was pouting and giving kisses through the whole ultrasound...oh, and he is still a little boy, no mistakes in that area. 

On a different note, my sister and I (and our hubby's of course) went on a tour of the hospital last week. I delivered both my babies at CMC Pineville but Novant has taken over our state and changed my OBGYN's delivering privileges so now we must go to Novant Matthews Hospital. After taking the tour, this change was clearly not to benefit the patients...very disappointing. Pineville is all about family and bonding and kangaroo time and ensuring the whole experience is how the mom wants it to be. Although my deliveries were not picture perfect, they did everything to still make it a family experience. According to the three nurses I spoke with at Matthews, they encourage family participation but it is all about moms health, not a bad philosophy but not the guidelines I want. It should be moms health and family not just moms health. 

They have some ridiculous policies at Matthews like only 4 visitors at a time...never going to happen with my family. We are a crowd, a well behaved, organized crowd, but still a crowd and I won't be limiting who can and can't come see the new addition to the family. This may be my last baby, who knows...I want to enjoy it like it was my first! They also further punish you if you require a c-section. As if having one isn't disappointing or hard enough, if you have a c-section you are not allowed ANY visitors (except your spouse) for 2 1/2 hours after you return to your room. WHAT?!? I've had two c-sections and it doesn't take that long to settle in afterwards. My mom has helped me with nursing, recovering and welcoming our new baby after each of my deliveries...she will not be sitting in the waiting room for hours missing it all because the nurse doesn't want to deal with more people. Like I said, they are punishing the poor moms who need c-sections, we don't get to share those first moments with the people we choose. I understand if there is a problem, everyone moves aside when a nurse needs to step in, believe me, I've been through a good and bad c-section. You can experience problems after a vaginal birth as well but those moms aren't being limited on who shares in the experience.

Also at Matthews, if they predict a busy maternity ward and you are having a c-section, they may put you on the fourth floor instead of the maternity ward...I guess vaginal deliveries are more important. Jonathan was very disappointed that the ONLY refreshments available to support people/spouses is vending machines. At Pineville, they offer fully stocked 'Daddy Stations' for the men who are also having to endure the pains of delivery. They may not be the ones pushing out a baby or having major surgery but they do have to watch their loved one endure it all and that deserves an open snack bar...he should not have to worry about whether or not he has enough quarters for a caffeine drink. 

So, as you can clearly determine by my rant...we are not happy with being forced to deliver at Matthews and still have not decided to do so. My family is more important to me then my doctor so we may be forfeiting her services to be at the hospital who will allow us to have the delivery we want. I am not necessarily an easy patient as far as health goes but I am really hard to upset with regulations and Matthews has managed to do that and I'm not sure if I can get over it or not, we will see. 

We have reached the bi-weekly doctor visits so we head back on the 31st and just continuing trudging along until the big day. I can't ever seem to plan my pregnancies right (I guess not planning them has these results) but my due date happens to be during two weddings...my brothers and Jonathan's best friends. We can't attend either :( We are hoping that our little guy stays put until after the family returns from Spain for my brother's wedding...so right now that is the goal. 

Here are some random morning routine pictures for you cause who likes to read a blog without pictures...even if they aren't related!


Vibrating toothbrushes are awesome!




Story time...brother is nowhere to be found until a book makes noises.

He's all about craft time though!

No comments:

Post a Comment